Sunday, April 24, 2016

What's next?


I'm on a roll. Let's see what else I can do.

My two sons are legal adults now. Next month the younger one graduates high school with honors, and the older one graduates college Magna Cum Laude.  I’m full of pride that hovers between sappy sentiment and obnoxious bragging. 

I remember when we were expecting our first child I felt a an overwhelming responsibility to make the world better for the next generation.  But when the children arrived, I was even more overwhelmed with my fierce love for them and the state of the world took a distant second place in my priorities. 




Now as they grow up into young men , I find myself looking around and asking the question, “What's next?” I may have another three decades within me… or maybe a lot less. However much time I have, what will I do with it? 

The world is still a mess and still needs cleaning up, and I have rediscovered the feeling of obligation to make things better. It's daunting but I see my boys’ success, and I think, I’m on a roll. Let’s see what else I can do. 

I think about how I haven’t really helped anyone in the LGBTQ community and it’s time to become a fiercer ally.  I'm also horrified about human trafficking and I want to be a part of the solution that does away with the buying and selling of persons. I am also more conscious of how many people are marginalized—poor people, minority cultures, the elderly, the children…. There are plenty of people to whom I could lend my support.

Where to start? What to tackle? Who to help? I need to make some choices and go to work.  

And you know what? I expect to make a difference.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. Speak your mind but please be kind.